Those who cannot be at the Isha Yoga Center during Mahashivratri can make use of the night in the following manner.
- It is most beneficial to stay awake, aware and in a vertical position throughout the night, without lying down.
- You can prepare your room by lighting a lamp or a Linga Jyothi, and placing a Dhyanalinga Yantra or Sadhguru’s picture, flowers, incense etc.
- You can chant, sing or listen to devotional songs and chants.
- If alone, it is good to take a walk or be with nature. If in a group, it is good to be silent as far as possible.
- The midnight sadhana can be performed in the following manner: 11:10pm to 11:30 pm –Sukha Kriya; 11:30 to 11:50 pm – AUM chanting; 11:50 pm – 12:10 am – Chanting of the Mahamantra, “AUM Namah Shivaya.”
- If you are following the celebrations through live telecasts and webcasts, you can follow the meditation instructions given there.
The Mahashivratri sadhana is a preparation for Mahashivratri – a night of tremendous possibilities. Anyone over the age of eight can participate in the sadhana. The sadhana can be of varying duration. You can do the sadhana for 40, 21, 14, 7 or 3 consecutive days leading up to Mahashivratri, February 13, 2018.
At Isha Yoga Center Mahashivratri, a cultural extravaganza of music, dance and powerful guided meditations conducted by Sadhguru, has been celebrated with great pomp and grandeur for many years. The event regularly draws hundreds of thousands each year. An even larger number of people witness and participate in the event online through our live webstream and on TV through our media partners.
In Indian culture, the sharing of food has always been considered a sacred duty. In every community across the Indian subcontinent, no festival or ceremony is complete without annadanam, or the distribution of prasadam, the edible items offered during puja. During the nightlong celebration of Mahashivratri, Maha Annadanam is offered to the hundreds of thousands of devotees who attend the event at the Isha Yoga Center. Isha Foundation offers one the opportunity to contribute towards the Annadanam.
Be a part of making this historic event happen.